The Education Management Information Systems (EMIS) of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology is the Central Education Data Bank of the State and other Agencies in the sector such as State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Teaching Service Commission (TESCOM) etc. The essence of EMIS unit is to ensure successful and regular conduct of Annual School Census (ASC) for effective Data Gathering, Analysis, Presentation, Educational Planning and Management to enhance timely and efficient decision making thus, giving foreign partner’s confidence in Data presentation. Through this resort, various types of information on learners, schools, teachers and many other variables are generated towards improving education at all levels.
The Acronyms EMIS stands for Education Management Information System. It is a system of people (interest or institutions), procedures and technology organised for managing information in a systematic way for the management of education development.
*It is an effort to continually improve the education sector for higher level of effectiveness through better education service delivery.
*EMIS is about measuring the importance of the education sector in a continuous manner for continuous intelligent intervention.
*It is a system that serves all intention in education with relevant instruction in the same manner in which it takes all relevant inputs from these intents.
What is EMIS and how can it help school children obtain a better education
It helps to carry out needs analysis of schools in terms of staffing, enrolment, assessment of school result and fundings. These are carried out by monitoring the activities of students to determine (i) Access (ii) Quality (iii) Equity.
The people in EMIS are organised into Institutions or Intents.
These institutions include:
• Local Government Areas (LGAs)
• Ministries of Education
• National Organisations
• Non-Governmental Organisations
• International Organisations
• Other Line Ministries
• Civil Society, etc.
The Procedure of EMIS includes:
• Relevant Data Collection: This involves scientifically observing relevant data which better reveals education problem to be solved
• Data processing: This has to do with organising returned data in such a way that it is easier to analyse. This often includes Sorting, Categorising, Storing and Retrieving.
• Data Analysis: This involves applying human judgement to the processed data for the purpose of making right decisions
• Reporting: This involves presenting the analysed data (information) to different intents in the context of their need and perspectives.
• Publishing: This involves developing the contents of the analysed information into a form that the user can use.
• Dissemination: This involves distribution, broadcasting, diffusion, propagation, spreading or giving out
• Feedback: This is measuring the users feel about the problems we set out to solve. It involves the concept of monitoring and evaluation.
• Behavioural Disposition of People
• Falsification of Data
• Poor Record keeping Culture in Schools
• Low technical capacity of Education Managers
• Inadequate budgetary provision and delay in release of funds
Education Management Information System (EMIS) is domiciled in the Department of Planning, Research and Statistics, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, with the following key staff members:
• Mr. Adewumi Ezekiel Olufunmilayo - Director of Education
• Mrs. Akinola-Okereafor, Mary O. – Deputy Director of Education
• Mr. Akinremi Babatunde Olusola – State EMIS Officer